Culture and Sports
The Partner States shall promote close co-operation amongst themselves in culture and sports, with respect to:
- The promotion and enhancement of diverse sports activities;
- Promote the development of culture and sports within the Community;
- The promotion of cultural activities, including the fine arts, literature, music, the performing arts and other artistic creations, and the conservation, safeguarding and development of the cultural heritage of the Partner States including, historical materials and antiquities;
- The development and promotion of indigenous languages especially Kiswahili as a lingua franca
- ( English as the official language) and
- Any other activities aimed at promoting an East African identity
- The EAC Anthem was approved by the summit in 2010 and is undergoing legal input and will soon be tabled to the East African Legislative Assembly (EALA) for enactment.
- The Choral and Brass versions of the anthem have been finalized;
- Popularization of the anthem is now in progress;
- Mapping study on culture and creative industries has been piloted in all Partner States and preparations for the full study are in progress;
- The roadmaps leading to the 1st editions of the Arts and Culture Festivals and sports Tournaments were approved by the Sectoral council;
- The 1st edition of Arts and Sports festivals will be held in Rwanda in February, 2013;
- Operationalisation of the Kiswahili Commission underway;
- Protocol for the establishment of Sports and Culture Commission negotiated.
Education, Training, Science and Technology
The Partner States shall:
- Revive and enhance the activities of the Inter-University Council for East Africa
- Encourage and support the mobility of students and teachers within the Community;
- Exchange information and experience on issues common to the educational systems of the Partner States
- Identify and develop centers of excellence in the region including Universities.
- Create a conducive environment for the promotion of science and technology within the Community
- Encourage use and development of indigenous science and technologies
- Exchange scientific information, personnel and the promotion and publication of research and scientific findings.
- The regional study on Harmonization of the EAC Education Systems and Training Curricula has been adopted
- A Technical Committee on the Harmonization of the East African Education Systems and Training Curricula (TECHOM) has been constituted to oversee the harmonization process
- The Schedule on the Mutual Recognition of Academic and Professional Qualifications under the Common Market Protocol has been adopted.
- The process of validation of five Centers of excellence from each Partner State to act as EAC/ Regional Centers has been finalized.
- Annual EAC Secondary School Writing Essay Competitions have been held since 2004.
- A situation analysis on HIV/AIDS in the education system undertaken. A strategic plan developed and Resource Mobilization strategy adopted.
- The Operationalisation of the East African Science and Technology Commission is underway.
Gender and Social Development
The key measures that are to be undertaken by the Partner States to promote full participation of women in development include;
- Promotion of the empowerment and effective integration and participation of women at all levels of socio economic development especially in decision making
- Abolition of legislations and discouragement of customs that are discriminatory against women
- Promotion of effective education awareness programmes aimed at changing negative attitudes towards women.
- Elimination of all laws, regulations and practices that hinder women’s access to financial assistance including credit
- Establishment of the Sectoral Council on Gender, Youth, Children, Social Protection and Community Development
- Establishment of EAC Women in Business Platform
- Strategic plan (2012-2016) on Gender, Youth, Persons with Disabilities, Social Protection and Community Development.
- EAC policy on People with Disabilities (PWD-2010) developed.
Investment opportunities for women in the EAC
- Investment in commercial farming of food and cash crops and livestock sub-sectors
- Provision of Education services especially in the private sector
- Provision of Financial services such as establishment of banks, brokerage services, investment consultancies, asset valuation and sales, insurance services, real-estate financing, lease finance, agricultural finance and advisory services.
- Investment in the Fisheries Sector through aquaculture, fish processing and provision of fishing equipment and materials.
- Provision of Healthcare services such as hospitals, training centers and equipment
- Provision of ICT services such as infrastructure and training, data processing
With respect to co-operation in health activities, the Partner States undertake to:
- Promote the management of health delivery systems and better Planning mechanisms to enhance efficiency of health care services;
- Develop a common drug policy to establish quality control capacities and good procurement practices;
- Harmonize drug registration procedures so as to achieve good control of pharmaceutical standards
- Harmonize National health policies and regulations on health issues in order to achieve quality health within the Community
- Co-operate in promoting research and the development of traditional, alternate or herbal medicines
- A policy on anti-counterfeiting and Anti-Piracy and other intellectual property Rights Violations (2009) developed.
- East African Community Regional Pharmaceutical Manufacturing plan of Action (2011-2016) in place
- Monitoring and evaluation plan for EC-EAC health project, building advocacy capacity in East Africa for adolescents finalized
- A steering committee to operationalize the EAC Regional Manufacturing Plan of Action (EACRMPOA) in place
- East African Public Health Laboratory Network Project to improve integrated disease surveillance and response systems in place
Opportunities for Youth in the EAC
- Market size of 133 million people
- Combined GDP (nominal) of US dollars 73 billion
- Employment opportunities
- Administrators and Managers
- Technicians and Associate Professionals;
- Craft and related workers
- Trade in Goods
- Trade in Services
- Professional and Business
- Distribution Services;
- Education Services;
- Financial Services;
- Tourism and Travel Related Services; and
- Transport services
- A draft EAC Youth policy in place